Re: new site for my ports is up

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Marshall" <jmarshall@acm.org>

> Over in RPM land, I have users telling me that they want the
> /usr v /usr/local decision to be determined by whether something is
> package managed (and thus uninstallable via rpm/setup), rather than
> by whether it happens to come from the vendor.

Good point.

> So I get flamed for producing a .rpm that installs to /usr/local, and
> am probably going to change to /usr because I think they're right.
>
> Many of my dumb users want to run Cygwin programs from a DOS window.
> So if I installed to /usr/local I would need to tell them to add two
> directories (C:\Cygwin\bin & C:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin) to their Windows
> PATH instead of one, increasing the scope for screwups.

This is an orthogonal issue IMO. Cygwin is not installed correctly if
usr\local\bin is not in the path.

> Currently I produce a package for Cygwin setup.exe that installs to
> /usr, and I'm about to start getting flamed for that too?  :-)

Nope, because your package was for testing pre-setup moratorium being
lifted, and it's lifted. Your (curl IIRC) package should now get into
setup.exe quite happily.

> Having off-site packages install to /usr/local on Cygwin would
certainly
> show whether they were official or not (cf rpm -qi), but that
information
> is already pretty much available in /etc/setup/installed.db if
off-site
> people deliver their package tarballs to setup in a directory other
than
> "latest" or "contrib".

I actually don't think that 'off-site' really means much w.r.t. where a
package installs. By that I mean, does an end user *care* that the
packages came from a given mirror, or that they are available. If we
want'd to only display *official* packages, we could do something based
on the MD5 sums in setup.ini.

Rob