Re: pthread_create -- no callback?

Lassi--

The sample I included did check the return value of pthread_join.  I now have
it also checking the return value of pthread_create.  So, pthread_create
returns sucessfully, the callback never gets invoked, and pthread_join
indicates that the thread exited with an error.

Gareth Pearce seems to recall reading that pthread_join isn't implemented in
1.3.5...  Is this correct?

Anyhow, again, here's the (updated) sample code and the resulting output:

#include "pthread.h"
#include <iostream>

extern "C" void* callbackFunction (void*);

void* callbackFunction (void* arg) {
    cout << "--> callbackFunction(" << (arg==NULL ? "NULL" : arg) << ")\n";
    return NULL;
}

int main (int numArgs, char** args) {

    pthread_t thread;

    pthread_attr_t pta;
    pthread_attr_init(&pta);

    cout << "--> pthread_create()\n";
    int retVal = pthread_create(&thread, &pta, callbackFunction, NULL);
    cout << "<-- pthread_create():" << retVal << "\n";

    void* threadExitStatus;
    cout << "--> pthread_join()\n";
    pthread_join(&thread, &threadExitStatus);
    cout << "<-- pthread_join():" << (int)threadExitStatus << "\n";
}

*******************************
make.exe: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/home/src/c++/PThreadTest'
rm -f  PThreadTest.o PThreadTest
g++ -W -Wall -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith
-Wnested-externs -Woverloaded-virtual -Wbad-function-cast -ansi -pedantic -c
PThreadTest.cpp -o PThreadTest.o
PThreadTest.cpp: In function `int main(int, char **)':
PThreadTest.cpp:11: warning: unused parameter `int numArgs'
PThreadTest.cpp:11: warning: unused parameter `char ** args'
g++ -W -Wall -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith
-Wnested-externs -Woverloaded-virtual -Wbad-function-cast -ansi -pedantic
PThreadTest.o -o PThreadTest
make.exe: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/home/src/c++/PThreadTest'

Output:

--> pthread_create()
<-- pthread_create():0
--> pthread_join()
<-- pthread_join():1627734452

Ideas!?!?!  Again, this is Cygwin 1.3.5 (and all other packages as of 2 days
ago) on a Win2000 Professional box.

thanks,
Evan