Re: Xvnc - Multiple replies

> What is it exactly that you want to do here?  The native Windows VNC
server  works great, and the native Windows
> VNC client works great also.  With a bit more info, maybe someone can
help.

Well, I'm assuming Xvnc works similarly on Windows as it does on Linux,
where I get a different "session" than what the local user gets.  (Sort of a
poor man's terminal server).  The reason for this is my main "server" in the
house runs in the living room.  It's connected to the TV and we watch
TV/DVDs/VCDS, etc through it.  The problem I have is if I want to do any
work, or upgrade, or whatever, I can VNC in, yes, but if my wife's watching
TV, I can't.  (Oh, the trials and tribulations of being too geeky <g>).
It's also a pain that since it's connected to the TV, I'm limited to 800x600
resolution, and who can work in that!? :)  Anywho, I had installed TS on the
server, but then the TV program we use wouldn't work, so that was out.
(Damn, crappy ATI drivers!)  I remembered that Xvnc had been ported via
Cygwin.  The reasons were never given aside from, "Yes, there are some very
good reasons you'd want to do this!".  Considering many had been using this
as a poor man's X-server before Xfree was ported, I assumed this was one of
the reasons.  Does that all make sense? :)

Anyway, the site of the fella who did the origional port is still up, but I
can't get the FTP server that houses the patch.  I assume that since the
site was last updated in 1998, it's no longer maintained. :)

> You should try VNC's mailing list, and give more info, i.e., what does it
mean "they all resufe to work"

In searching the archives of the Cygwin lists I found a few people who'd
mentioned the patch that allowed it to compile.  It had also been used by
many for some time as their X-server.  I found nothing on the VNC archives.
By refuse to work, I'm referring to a common problem a lot of people had
with the binary verions which was when launched it complained it couldn't
find the RGB database or default font despite them being there.  I tried a
few suggested fixes and even came up with a couple of my own, but never got
them to work.  I've found that compiling myself and not using pre-compiled
binaries usually fixes this kind of little issue.  That's why I'm trying to
find the patch.

Thanks,

-T