Re: Editing zipped files with VIM under cygwin

At 14:00 13-11-2001, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > 2. 'bzip2 --version > xx' doesn't finish.
>
>I can reproduce that but don't know why that happens, currently.

That seems to be a bzip2 feature/bug.  (It behaves the same on RedHat 7.1.)

--------------------8<--------------------
$ bzip2 --version
bzip2, a block-sorting file compressor.  Version 1.0.1, 23-June-2000.

    Copyright (C) 1996-2000 by Julian Seward.

    it under the terms set out in the LICENSE file, which is included
    in the bzip2-1.0 source distribution.

    LICENSE file for more details.

bzip2: I won't write compressed data to a terminal.
bzip2: For help, type: `bzip2 --help'.

As you can see, the --version flag doesn't stop bzip2 from trying to
compress standard input.
Possible workarounds:

$bzip2 --version --help 2>qqq

$bzip2 --version </dev/null >/dev/null 2>qqq

  - Michael

--
     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning