Re: How do I figure out why LogonUserA is failing?

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 04:39:04PM -0700, Mark Paulus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried various permutations of things in /etc/passwd in order
> to make login work, and I can't seem to get the correct things worked.
>
> My machine is running Win2K/SP2, connected to a domain, and
> roaming profiles are enabled.  I have tried doing a mkpasswd -l
> and then doing a login <myUserid> with my normal windows password,
> and failure.
> I have tried doing a mkpasswd -d and then doing a login <myUserid>
> with my normal windows passwd, and failure.
>
> Where/what is the silver bullet to getting this login stuff to work.
> I ultimately want to be able to define root as a user, and be able to
> login to that account for some work, but I can't seem to get any
> of it working.  I have read the NT security and the ntsec usage
> guide, and I think I comprehend most of what's in there, but I
> can't figure out this one....
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated....

LogonUser/CreateProcessAsUser need special user rights.  This rights
are not given to user accounts, not even to admins.  Only SYSTEM has
that user rights by default.  That's the reason that login only
works when started from telnetd or rlogind, started from inetd which
itself is running as service under SYSTEM account.

login(1) is not intended for use on the command line under Cygwin.

Shouldn't we create a FAQ for that?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.