Re: sshd dies

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 01:58:14PM +0100, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> > GregHolmes@aol.com wrote:
> > >
> > > After updating Cygwin this morning (~6:30 EST 11/9) I can't seem to run sshd.
> > >
> > > $ /usr/sbin/sshd
> > > D:\CYGWIN\USR\SBIN\SSHD.EXE: *** MapViewOfFileEx 'shared'(0x20), Win32 error
> > > 8.
> >
> > This is ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY. And maybe relates to this comment in
> > MSDN - though
> > this is just a hypothese.
>
> Or, perhaps, didn't you stop sshd before updating?

Good point :) Quite, strange error code though :)

However, this is not why I post this message. This problem -
updating while cygwin service is running - seems to be a common
one. So it would be good if there is some mechanism that anyone
can use to see if the cygwin1.dll is active in memory. This
way setup will know that its not a good idea to run and will
inform the user that he/she must stop all the services and then
try again.

A simple way to do this is creating a named Mutex and checking if it
exists - though I'm not sure it will apply to cygwin1.dll as easily.
But there are others too, for sure.