Re: inetd on win95

thank you for your time.

i havn't the knowledge nor the will to inspect the source code...
i simply wanted to run div. net-services, but have not the ability to
debug it, faq and user guide did were no help. so i thought you could
give me some hints, how to get further.

i've installed cygwin (vers. infos i prov.d erlier), started iu-config.
after that standard services in /etc/inetd.conf should work.
so i have tried:
$ /usr/sbin/inetd
as described in /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README. ps showed me
that inetd was running. so i've tried to connect from other machine:
$ telnet 10.0.0.4
Trying 10.0.0.4...
Connected to 10.0.0.4.
Escape character is '^]'.

after "Escape character is '^]'." nothing went further (i think login
should appear at this point) those where the things, described in the
original mail by raphael.

when i saw, that this was not working, i tested:
$ /usr/sbin/inetd -d
produced output:
some lines of ADD: ... \n registered on n
looked good to me.
when tried to connect again:
someone wants telnet
accept, ctrl 3
+ Closing from 21
353653 execl /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

and nothing more, same behavior as before. so i looked into
/etc/inetd.conf, found out that inetd calls /usr/sbin/in.telnetd, so i
thought: try to start it directly from cmdline (as also described in
manpage):
$ /usr/sbin/in.telnetd.exe -debug
and found out, that the connecting was established. i was wondering, but
you already were telling my the reason. because to me it doesnt has to
be perfect it's enough, if its working, i've tried:
$ mv /usr/sbin/in.telnetd.exe /usr/sbin/in.telnetd_dist.exe
and created /usr/sbin/in.telnet with the following content:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd_dist.exe -debug

i thougt to inetd it seems to be the same and telnetd gets debugmode as
he likes it. but: when starting my script from cmdline, it works, but it
won't when called from inetd.

can you give me some hints, how to get further?
i think, i have winsock2, and i dont want to install any other os.

thank you for your time, good night
gruss joerg eichhorn