Re: 'mkgroup -d' does not return groups local to the PDC

I don't think you should expect mkgroup -d to do anything other than
return groups from the domain. Local groups are not part of the domain,
so it makes sense that they would not be picked up by mkgroup -d. As an
anaolog, no one expects mkgroup -l to get the local groups from the
machine AND all the groups in the domains that the machine is part of.

If you want local groups, you should use mkgroup -l. You might be able
to use mkgroup -l remotely (via rsh or rlogin etc) but you shouldn't
even expect it to do that (the local groups on Supervisor are NOT local
to Foreman). It isn't automated, but you could just cat the entries from
Supervisor's /etc/group (done with mkgroup -l) to Foreman's /etc/group.

Just because NT confuses local and domain groups, doesn't mean that
cygwin should try to make the same mistake, ergo you shouldn't expect
cygwin to act like NT, it should act like UNIX.

I think John is correct here, mkgroup -d should ONLY give groups from
the domain, if it gets local groups too that would just be contrary to
the intended behavior.

HTH,
Peter

Matt.Wilkie wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for the swift response.
>

>>>Issuing "mkgroup --domain DEPT" shows me all of the Global groups
>>>from Supervisor. However it doesn't show me the groups which are
>>>Local to the machine Supervisor.
>>>
>>Why would you expect it to?
>>

> Because there are two methods that I know of to do this using NT
> tools. :) One is the User Manager and the other is a commandline
> utility which comes with the NT Resource Kit: AddUsers.exe.
>

>>p.s. of course, I could be wrong ;~)
>>

> I hope so :P
>

> -matt

Your mouse has moved.