Re: setup testers wanted

>Subject: setup testers wanted
>From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
>Some specific features included in the beta setup.exe are
>* Remembers the directory you download packages too.
>* Automatically installs dependencies to ensure packages work correctly.
>* Has categories and provides a hierarchical view to select the packages
>  from.

Very nice. Much improved from the previous setups. I haven't had a
chance to test the dependency code yet (all my systems have cygwin
on them already) but I have upgraded some packages and it works well.

A few observations:

  1) The view button that is at the top of the package selection
     screen initially displays with the word "view" garbled. Clicking
     on the view button or changing one of the prev, cur, exp radio
     buttons causes a redisplay that properly displays the word view.
     This occurs with both ftp and http downloads for the

  2) I and a couple of co-workers find it a bit unnerving/confusing to
     look at the category list and not see anything expanded when I
     know I have packages that need to be updated. I would suggest
     starting in the partial mode if you are updating an installed
     cygwin and starting in category mode for new installs.

     Alternatively make a category/partial window that shows the
     categories and expands the categories that have packages to be
     updated with the list of packages to be updated.

     I don't think expanding the category with a full list if any of
     the packages in that category need updating is useful as it
     obscures the packages to be updated in the list of all packages.

  3) On the package selection screen it might be worth moving the view
     label/indicator closer to the view button.  One of my AA's didn't
     notice the correspondence between the full/partial/category
     indicator and the view button. Right now it displays:

  Select packages to install <LABEL>   () prev () curr () exp  [VIEW]

     I suggest:

  Select packages to install  () prev () curr () exp  [VIEW] <LABEL>

     I think this also reads cleaner since the eye is drawn to the
     VIEW button and flows naturally to the right (well for us left to
     right readers 8-)) to see what the view is. Also putting the
     label in a sunken box or in some other way distinguishing it from
     static text (Select package to install) may be useful.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard