ssh with X forwarding

I am trying to get ssh with xforwarding to work.

When I execute a ssh command to a remote host and manually set my DISPLAY
variable to point back to my original machine, I can launch x program and
they display on the original machine's x server. So that works great.

The problem is that some of the machines I want to access are on the
internet and I am behind a firewall, so they can not reach my xserver.

I though that's where x forwarding came in.

When I execute ssh -X to the remote machine, I see that the DISPLAY variable
is set to host:10.0 which is supposed to be the proxy x server on the remote
machine.

When I try to execute an x program there is no output. The program appears
to be running (it shows up in the ps list) but it doesn't seem to be
working.

How can I debug this?

I am guessing that something is misconfigured on the machine I am sshing
into. I have set X11forwarding to yes in /etc/sshd_config

Does anyone know of a resource that I access to show a working example?

Thanks for any