RE: cygrunsrv: possible solution to a common problem -- suggested patch

Robert Collins wrote,
> I hate to be a wet blanket, but this isn't the correct solution.
>
> Well, actually it is, just the wrong service is being depended on.
>
> Why not LanManWorkstation? It's the MS network client. Cygwin
> doesn't depend on that, and some folk (I'm one) do not run it. In
> fact, folk on Novell networks that have performance tuned their NT
> workstations && use NAL for management are also unlikely to run it..
>
> I suggest depending on the TCPIP service instead.

Except that depending only on the tcpip service doesn't work for me
whereas depending on lanmanworkstation (or both lanmanworkstation and
tcpip) does.

My guess is that where lanmanworkstation service _is_ being run
there's some extra initialization which has to be completed in
addition to the startup of the tcpip service before sockets can be
bound.

FWIW, the Apache doc I linked to earlier,

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/win_service.html

mentions both, and also the afd service, but doesn't go into any
explantion of how you'd choose which ones to depend on.

Here's some MS services for comparison,

  NFS service (from MS Services for Unix 2.0) depends on tcpip and
  lanmanworkstation.

  Simple TCP/IP service depends on afd.

And here's the results I get from various dependency combinations,

  afd                         rinetd startup fails
  tcpip                                "
  afd+tcpip                            "
  lanmanworkstation           rinetd startup succeeds
  lanmanworkstation+tcpip              "

Can anyone shed any more light on this?

Cheers,

Miles