Re: LPRng for Cygwin

> So I suggest, the better idea is to modify the source so it fits
> with the existing passwd and group files, or a 'new' account needs
> to be invented, like Biggs did it with 'bind', there you create a
> user 'bin' a group cyg-bin' in the NT useradministration and after
> adding it to the group/passwd file, the group 'cyg-bin' is renamed
> to bin, now you have what you need.
>
> Maybe it is possible to duplicate the SYSTEM entry and then change
> the gid, but I'm not sure about this.

that's a good idea - i don't use cron so i didn't anticipate this.  LPRng
doesn't really require uid 0 and 1, it just made it "easier" to get
running.  You could add to the configure command:

--with-userid=18 --with-groupid=18

and it would work just as well, without the need for "root" and "daemon".
However, it would not switch to another user, since currently LPRng thinks
uid 0 is "root", and that uid 18 doesn't have that capability (even
though under NT it does).

I'll add this to my web page, and work on changing the source so that for
Cygwin LPRng thinks uid 18 is "root"!  Thanks.

Luke