Re: LPRng for Cygwin

> Luke Bakken schrieb am 2001-10-12 8:32:

>Hi all,
>
>LPRng for cygwin is avaliable at
>http://ics-server.interface-net.com/~lbakken/lprng-cygwin.html
>
>This is my first port of something to Cygwin, so documentation
>improvements and bug fixes are most appreciated.  I've been using it for
>the past few days instead of the less than steller WinNT lpd system.  It's
>nice to be able to redirect input into lpr!

I suggest that is not a good idea to remove SYSTEM from the passwd file
and to modify the group file.
At least one example, from the cron readme:
"Note that this requires that /etc/group has been created and
contains the default SYSTEM entry, gid 18. DON'T CHANGE THAT!"

So I suggest, the better idea is to modify the source so it fits
with the existing passwd and group files, or a 'new' account needs
to be invented, like Biggs did it with 'bind', there you create a
user 'bin' a group cyg-bin' in the NT useradministration and after
adding it to the group/passwd file, the group 'cyg-bin' is renamed
to bin, now you have what you need.

Maybe it is possible to duplicate the SYSTEM entry and then change
the gid, but I'm not sure about this.

Gerrit

--
=^..^=