Re: Multiple cygwin installs: I have to do it, but how?

Back to earth:

folks, we're talking about a product that is still using B19 for
gawsakes.  ANY solution we come up with is NOT very likely to be adopted
by vendors that are FOUR YEARS behind.

Honestly, given that we're dealing with a dinosaur, I think the best --
and only -- solution is for users stuck with these archaic dists to
   1) push the vendors to update their products to work with modern
cygwins.  To encourage them to develop packaging/installation methods
for their products that are compatible with "normal" packages in the
"net release" model.
   2) failing that, or in the meantime, these poor users should "swap
out" using batch files that update the registry and path settings
appropriate for different "sandboxes".  This is ugly, hackish, and a
giant PITA -- but it's better than immense performance losses engendered
by other suggestions.

That fact is, I'm not motivated to hack up the kernel in ugly ways, just
to help users of products from independent^Wincompetent software vendors
who refuse to modernize.  Those ISVs deserve to lose customers.  Harsh?
  Maybe so -- but I'm a volunteer, not an employee.

--Chuck