Re: SPAM - Re: (((((((-= Enter To Win One of 25 Dream Vacations!! =-)))))))

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
To: "Andreas Eibach" <a.eibach@gmx.net>
Cc: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 10:42 PM
Subject: Re: SPAM - Re: (((((((-= Enter To Win One of 25 Dream
Vacations!! =-)))))))

> Sigh.  I *know* I shouldn't extend this thread, but I just
can't help
> myself.
>

> The point: we all hate spam.  Chris does as good a job as he
can
> manually blocking spammer's mail address -- but that's like
playing
> whack-a-mole.  Stuff will get through.  Just hit 'd' and move
on.
If you have 2 minutes to spare, why not identify the originating
ISP and forward to their abuse site, if any?  The filters appear
to block successfully most of the spam from ISP's who lack any
spam control.  A few even respond with thanks for prompt
identification of abuse.  If there is to be an FAQ entry, it
could point to advice on use of IP-whois.
My state atty general office is authorized to prosecute certain
types of spam intentionally directed at state residents.  If
cygwin@cygwin.com were on that list, they would consider anything
sent to us as qualifying as intentional.  Of course, there is
probably more down side than up to being on such a list.