Re: Perl 5.7.2

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 06:29:09PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>> John Peacock schrieb am 2001-10-09 10:04:
>
>>[good discussion truncated]
>[more truncated]
>
>[...]
>>The problem I am seeing under Cygwin is an aberration, both for Perl
>>and Cygwin.  I had clean debug builds as late as last month.  It only
>>has problems under Perl-Built-For-Debugging (and three minor test
>>failures I have not gotten around to digging into).  Almost all tests
>>succeed (even with PBFD); the cores only happen when exiting the
>>program (during cleanup apparently).
>>
>>This smells like a CygWin problem, only under Win2k and only on certain
>>machines.  If we can catch it happening, we can stomp it.  The problem
>>is that anything newer than 1.3.2-2 breaks debugging under Win2K for
>>me (and at least Roman Belenov).  That is a different problem which I
>>think has to be fixed before we can get close to finding out what Perl
>>is up to.
>
>Well, though my debugger runs o.k., I'm getting also the stackdumps
>during 'make test' (NT 4.0).  So it should not depend on NT version
>that much.  There are two problems here: your debugger doesn't run,
>bleadperl's 'make test' doesn't run clean.

I've duplicated the stack dump.  It's coming from free and it is due
to memory corruption.  Something in perl is corrupting the heap.

AFAICT, it isn't a Cygwin problem.

I suspect that there might be some problem with a misconfigured perl,
maybe?  I know that perl can use its own version of malloc.  I wonder
if some memory that is allocated by perl's malloc has been passed to
cygwin's malloc for freeing.  If so, then *boom*.

cgf