Re: DLL Win 2000

 --- Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote: > Danny Smith
wrote:
> >  --- Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote: > >
> >

> >>The problem is, MS .obj format files are NOT compatible with
> gcc/ld.
> >>I'm really surprised you were able to link at all.
> >>

> > This is news to me. As long as the obj file has no dependency on
> static
> > MS runtime (or other MS static lib), on MS debug heap  or on C++
> > references they work, with mingw or with -mno-cygwin option.  The
> other
> > gotcha is struct layout, which can be fixed with -fnative-struct
> > option.
>
> Ding!
>

> > The usual problem however is dependency on MS libc[mt].lib
> >

> And another ding!
>
> What you're saying is, that *theoretically* you can use a .obj file
> with
> gcc .o's -- but in practice it's rarely possible.  (1) you have to be
>
> careful to use -fnative-struct with your gcc compiliation,

In my experience this is usually not necessary.  Turn on -pedantic
warnings and the compiler will point you to potential bit-field
problems

(2) only
> .obj
> files that make NO references to ANY runtime functions (open, fopen,
> printf, etc) are usable.

Not quite true. Import of global variables from static libs or memory
allocation functions from static libs cause problems.  _alloca is the
main culprit.

My experience, in practice, is that some very useful *.obj's and *.libs
work with -mno-cygwin. One, in particular, is Intel's blas and cblas
kernel.  Also Intels's optimised jpeg lib.  I have used other
open-source math libs built by msvc++ or compaq fortran in preference
to gcc-built ones for floating point performance reasons.

> That's a lot of restrictions.  Wouldn't it be nice if the gpib IO
> card
> manufacturer released their @#$@!& source, instead of distributing
> .obj
> files?

Well they do distribute Visual Basic source, so one could translate
into C.

Have you tried gpib-32.obj(which is the static obj file provided as
part of the MSVC++ 32 bit interface  for NI-488.2 API).  It
should be useable, as is, by  -mno-cygwin and by mingw. The only
dependencies are on functions within msvcrt.dll or the w32api.
Objdump groks the symbols in the obj, so does ld.  I quickly built two
of the test apps (ScopeSimple and FindInstruments) They both copiled
and linked without problem.   When I ran the programmes, they told me
they couldn't find any instruments, which is true, and reported the
values of global variables.    Looking at the header, there is no need
for -fnative-struct.

Danny

http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
- Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!