bash 2.04 can't complete ~/name if $HOME set to c:/users/foo?

I've recently switched to bash 2.0.4 as my interactive shell on Windows 2K
(SP2), and I've noticed a couple of problems in its expansion of ~.

My environment has HOME set to c:/users/matt, but bash seems to insist on
converting this to a cygwin-style path, /c/users/matt.  This confuses the
hell out of programs like Emacs that don't understand cygwin paths, of
course.

I can get around this problem by explicitly resetting HOME in my .bashrc to
c:/users/matt.  That seems like a weird thing to have to do, but I'm used
to doing weird things to make Win2K a usable environment :-)

The problem is that setting HOME to a non-cygwin path seems to breaks
completion of names that start with ~.

With HOME set to /c/users/matt, typing "emacs ~/.ba<tab>" completes
correctly.
But with HOME set to c:/users/matt, typing the same sequence doesn't do any
completion -- it's like bash can't complete filenames that begin with a
drive letter.  Oddly enough, though, it DOES complete correctly if I type
"emacs ~matt/.ba<tag>".

Is bash broken with respect to tilde-expansion, or is there something I'm
missing?