binutils: auto-import, C++, STLport/SGI iostream

This message is primarily for Danny Smith:

In the binutils.README, there's a bug report from Danny that says:

>    "I am still having some (sorry, one very specific) problem
>    with C++ and auto-import.  It is with cerr, cin, cout in
>    the STLport of the SGI iostream lib.  These are initialised
>    before main.  When building dll with auto-export and using
>    auto-import to link (no dllimport attributes), I get
>    successful link, but runtime failure of app at initialisation
>    (before main). When building dll with --export-all, but
>    marking DATA with dllimport when compiling client, I get
>    successful link and run."

This was reported LONG ago, before the run-time problems with
auto-importing multi-word variables was discovered, isolated, and
addressed.  The currently distributed cygwin-binutils identifies these
problem variables, and generates a link-time, rather than run-time error.

Danny: can you try again whatever procedure it was that caused the
errors you described, but this time with a current binutils?  What happens?

My hypothesis: Danny's problems with SGLport/SGI iostream were *not
"initialization before main" errors, but rather were "runtime error with
auto-imported multi-word variable" errors.  If Danny STILL gets
error-free linktime behavior but gets the runtime errors, then I'm
wrong.  However, if I'm right, then Danny will see a "can't auto-import
"cerr" ...." error message at link-time, and I can "close" his bug report.

Danny?

--Chuck