Re: qmail-1.03: any volunteers?!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <freeweb@nyckelpiga.de>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: qmail-1.03: any volunteers?!

> > Stipe Tolj schrieb am 2001-09-28 11:00:
>
> >> What about daemontools, ucspi-tcp, djbdns, are they not needed?
> >
> >For the fast shot I used inetd to invoke qmail-smtpd and qmail-pop3d,
> >which did work.
> >
> >BTW, I used bind-8.1.2-1 binaries I found at the Cygwin RPM project
at
> >SourceForge.
>
> Hmpf, I don't like bind.  I think we should have a 'cygwin'-solution
> for dns lookups.  There is a complete resolver in squid included,
> (I read it somewhere in the mail archives), maybe it is possible to
> reuse it as standalone resolver?  Or is it possible to build djbdns?
> What is adns?  I built adns, but is it a resolver or does it depend
> on bind, too?

Win32 has a built in resolver, which cygwin exposes via gethostby*. If
you need async resolving capabilities, you can a) use pthreads or b)
roll your own from somewhere else. The squid resolver is in three parts,
1) A library containing a implementation of the RFC to allow querying of
DNS servers.
2) Client code to make requests to the library, and handle in-squid
housekeeping.
3) An IP address->name cache for efficiency.

It can be reused quite happily. It's designed to be used with
non-blocking I/O and a select or poll engine in the calling software.
However the RFC implementation has 0 caching of results - thats handled
in squid, using squid's hash table primitives. So that would need to be
added to any 'solution'.

Rob