Re: mutt and locale

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 02:54:28PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 10:36:56PM +0200, Martin Jerabek wrote:
> > Unfortunately
> > cygwin does not really support locale information, at least not the part
> > which determines your character set (LC_CTYPE).
>
> Could you be more specific?  I have no problems with 8-bit characters
> with latest Mutt (1.2.5i-3) from Cygwin.  There are no LC_xxx nor LANG in
> my environment.  My $charset in mutt is set to "iso-8859-13".

I am also using the latest cygwin mutt version. The effect was that all
characters > 127 showed up as `?' on the screen. This is even a mutt
FAQ, and the answer is more or less, "It is not mutt's fault. Set up
your locale variables correctly." I had the same effect on my Linux box
and setting LC_CTYPE to de_AT fixed it, so expected it to work under
cygwin, too.

I do not think that the mutt charset variable has anything to do with
it, and the documentation claims that its default value is iso-8859-1 so
that should work out of the box. Unfortunately I do not have access to
my cygwin machine right now but I will definitely try to experiment with
$charset although -13 is probably the wrong one for me. :-)

My assumption that there is no real locale support under cygwin stems
from a short glance at the source code of "setlocale()" in the newlib.
It just accepts "C" (the minimal ANSI C requirement) but refuses
anything else. It is of course perfectly possible that I misunderstood
the code or that newlib is not used at all. I just assumed that it is
the cygwin equivalent to (g)libc under Linux. Am I right?

Does anybody else use mutt with non-ASCII characters? Does it work for
everybody else? Olaf?

> Was this version of Mutt already compiled with --enable-locales-fix?

No, as Corinna already answered. What convinced me that the broken
locale support is to blame for my difficulties is the fact that if
compiled with the mentioned fix (and linking it with automode.o) mutt
just works as expected.

Best regards
Jerry