Re: Using ssh with VNC Viewer

If you have firewall(s) between you and the other machine, then
your ssh line is slightly incorrect.  It took me two days, and a lot of
reading in the O'Reilly book, "SSH:  The Secure Shell".  It all boils
down to a couple of paragraphs in section 9.2.4.  Also took some
time using the iptraf package, which allowed me to watch the packets
getting thrown around.  Anyway, the upshot is that you need to
change your ssh line to the following:

ssh -v -C -L 5902:localhost:5901 edin_kampala

The basic problem is that ssh is trying to route the connections from the remote
machine back to your edin_kampala machine.  If you have any firewalls
in the way, then those packets never get there.  You have to route them to
localhost, and then ssh takes them back through it's secure pipe.

I also add a -R 5904:localhost:5900, which allows me to use the same
VNC pipe to connect to my work Win2K box from home.