Help... GDB no longer works after updating...

I had been happily (very happily) using GDB for debugging until this morning,
when I decided to update my cygwin files (have to keep current).  Now GDB won't
run anything.  I did a search on google and the cygwin lists on
"unknown target exception", but everything I came up with seems fairly out of
date...

Here is a simple test file I created, the error that it generates and executing
the show command.

I have tried re-installing gdb, cygwin, w32api, gcc but nothing has changed.  I
tried going back a version in w32api and cygwin but that didn't help either...
I really don't want to have to blow away my whole cygwin distribution because it
took months to get X and all the nice utilities installed and compiled...

Thank any of you for your help in advance,

Kris

cygwin session follows
------------------------------------

$ cat test.c
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void) {
    printf("Hello World\n");
}

Administrator@STORK ~/tmp
$ gcc -g -o test test.c
Administrator@STORK ~/tmp
$ gdb -nw test.exe
GNU gdb 5.0 (20010428-1)
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/administrator/tmp/test.exe
gdb: unknown target exception 0x000006d1 at 0x77e87e08

Program received signal ?, Unknown signal.
0x77e87e08 in _libkernel32_a_iname ()
(gdb) info target
Symbols from "/home/administrator/tmp/test.exe".
Win32 child process:
        Using the running image of child thread 2808.0x7d8.
        While running this, GDB does not access memory from...
Local exec file:
        `/home/administrator/tmp/test.exe', file type pei-i386.
        Entry point: 0x401000
        0x00401000 - 0x00401400 is .text
        0x00402000 - 0x00402200 is .data
        0x00403000 - 0x0040300c is .bss
        0x00404000 - 0x00404200 is .idata
(gdb) show
annotate:  Annotation_level is 0.
archdebug:  Architecture debugging is 0.
args:  Argument list to give program being debugged when it is started is "".
can-use-hw-watchpoints:  Debugger's willingness to use watchpoint hardware is
    1.
case-sensitive:  Case sensitivity in name search is "auto; currently on".
check check range:  Range checking is "auto; currently off".
check type:  Type checking is "auto; currently off".
complaints:  Max number of complaints about incorrect symbols is 0.
confirm:  Whether to confirm potentially dangerous operations is on.
debug debug arch:  Architecture debugging is 0.
debug event:  Event debugging is 0.
debug expression:  Expression debugging is 0.
debug overload:  Debugging of C++ overloading is 0.
debug remote:  Debugging of remote protocol is 0.
debug serial:  Serial debugging is 0.
debug target:  Target debugging is 0.
debugevents:  Whether to display kernel events in child process is off.
debugexceptions:  Whether to display kernel exceptions in child process is off.
debugexec:  Whether to display execution in child process is off.
debugmemory:  Whether to display memory accesses in child process is off.
debugvarobj:  Varobj debugging is 0.
demangle-style:  The current C++ demangling style is "auto".
disassembly-flavor:  The disassembly flavor is "att".
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
download-write-size:  The write size used when downloading a program is 512.
editing:  Editing of command lines as they are typed is on.
eventdebug:  Event debugging is 0.
exec-done-display:  Notification of completion for asynchronous execution commands is off.
follow-fork-mode:  Debugger response to a program call of fork or vfork is
    "parent".
gnutarget:  The current BFD target is "auto".
height:  Number of lines gdb thinks are in a page is 25.
history history expansion:  History expansion on command input is off.
history filename:  The filename in which to record the command history is
    "/home/administrator/tmp/.gdb_history".
history save:  Saving of the history record on exit is off.
history size:  The size of the command history is 256.
input-radix:  Default input radix for entering numbers is 10.
language:  The current source language is "auto; currently c".
listsize:  Number of source lines gdb will list by default is 10.
new-console:  Creation of new console when creating child process is off.
new-group:  Creation of new group when creating child process is on.
opaque-type-resolution:  Resolution of opaque struct/class/union types (if set before loading symbols) is on.
os:  Operating system is "".
output-radix:  Default output radix for printing of values is 10.
overload-resolution:  Overload resolution in evaluating C++ functions is on.
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
pagination:  State of pagination is on.
print print address:  Printing of addresses is on.
print array:  Prettyprinting of arrays is off.
print asm-demangle:  Demangling of C++ names in disassembly listings is off.
print demangle:  Demangling of encoded C++ names when displaying symbols is on.
print elements:  Limit on string chars or array elements to print is 200.
print max-symbolic-offset:  The largest offset that will be printed in <symbol+1234> form is unlimited.
print null-stop:  Printing of char arrays to stop at first null char is off.
print object:  Printing of object's derived type based on vtable info is off.
print pascal_static-members:  Printing of pascal static members is on.
print pretty:  Prettyprinting of structures is off.
print repeats:  Threshold for repeated print elements is 10.
print sevenbit-strings:  Printing of 8-bit characters in strings as \nnn is
    off.
print static-members:  Printing of C++ static members is on.
print symbol-filename:  Printing of source filename and line number with <symbol> is off.
print union:  Printing of unions interior to structures is on.
print vtbl:  Printing of C++ virtual function tables is off.
prompt:  Gdb's prompt is "(gdb) ".
prompt-escape-char:  Escape character for formatting of gdb's prompt is 0.
remote remoteaddresssize:  The maximum size of the address (in bits) in a memory packet is 32.
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
remotebaud:  Baud rate for remote serial I/O is 4294967295.
remotebreak:  Whether to send break if interrupted is off.
remotecache:  Cache use for remote targets is off.
remotedebug:  Debugging of remote protocol is 0.
remotedevice:  Device for remote serial I/O is "".
remotelogbase:  Numerical base for remote session logging is "ascii".
remotelogfile:  Filename for remote session recording is "".
remotetimeout:  Timeout limit to wait for target to respond is 2.
scheduler-locking:  Mode for locking scheduler during execution is "off".
step-mode:  Mode of the step operation is off.
stop-on-solib-events:  Stopping for shared library events is 0.
symbol-reloading:  Dynamic symbol table reloading multiple times in one run is
    off.
unwindonsignal:  Unwinding of stack if a signal is received while in a call dummy is off.
verbose:  Verbosity is off.
watchdog:  Watchdog timer is 0.
width:  Number of characters gdb thinks are in a line is 80.
write:  Writing into executable and core files is off.