Re: using aliases for cygwin commands on win2k

>Thanks for the response.
>
>If I do that, I lose the ability to start applications
>automatically by simply typing the file name.  For example,
>if I have a file try.doc, and I type try.doc at the Windows
>2000 command prompt, it brings up Word with that document.
>
>-Anoop

you might consider using batch files to wrap around the commands that
you want to alias, and put the batch files to wherever %PATH% can find.

sample batch file for alias dir='ls -l'

---- dir.bat starts here ----
@ls.exe -l %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
---- dir.bat ends here ----

or something like that. that's the best I can do with cmd.exe

liulk

just something i suddenly remembered ... when i was little (say 11 or
something), i used to have fear on .exe files (in MS-DOS) because they
have MZ headers and relocation table. just something i remembered ... ;-)