Re: Cygwin/XFree86 Build Speedup with Cygwin 1.3.3

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 02:19:27PM +0400, egor duda wrote:
>HH> Native building of Cygwin/XFree86 is now roughly half as fast as cross
>HH> compiling under Linux, which is quite an improvement from cross compiling
>HH> being 3 to 4 times faster.  It was really disappointing to see my P3-550,
>HH> running Linux, leaving my Athlon-1200, running Cygwin, in its dust.  Both
>HH> machines now build, without fonts, in roughly 29 minutes.
>
>and i can't but attribute a part of this speedup to Chris' ongoing
>effort to implement true vfork() in cygwin.

Yes.  As impressive as Egor's changes are, vfork showed a huge performance
increase for make.  I was conservatively seeing improvements on the order of
20 - 25%.  I didn't want to claim this in my announcement because I knew that
people would immediately jump on that and start claiming that 1.3.3 was slower
than B20.1.

I suspect that there is some other change in 1.3.3 that also accounts
for the speed increase.  1.3.3 queries the registry less on startup.
That might cause some improvement, too.

So, faster symlinks, vfork, fewer registry lookups -- it is probably multiple
factors.  Whatever it is, I am glad that things improved.

cgf