Re: Running tcsh in rxvt

Obviously I have missed the penultimate message in this thread. I
suppose it was private to Larry.

[> > Larry Hall wrote:]

> > >How so?  Works fine for me.
> >rxvt window pops up then exits
>
> OK, must be a local installation difference.  Like I said, it
> works fine here for me.  The only time that I got something similar
> to what you describe was when I mistakenly put double quotes around
> the "tcsh -l" in rxvt invocation I suggested.  Obviously that was an
> error which made rxvt exit immediately...

I have had similar problems in the past with bash and can reproduce
this one with tcsh. Use an absolute pathname to the login shell to get
it to work.

Try rxvt -e /usr/bin/tcsh -l

It also doesn't work for me without an absolute path, even if the
shortcut sets the directory to C:\cygwin\bin. It _does_ work if I use
./tcsh (or ./bash) instead of just tcsh. If it works for you, you
probably have . in your PATH. The documentation in
/usr/doc/Cygwin/rxvt-2.7.2-README suggests using an absolute path,
probably to avoid issues like this.

I don't get the expected login shell behavior when using tcsh like
this. I don't use tcsh, so I suspsect this is because I have no
/etc/csh.cshrc or /etc/csh.profile to tell tcsh how to set the home
environment variable. I'll let people who actually use tcsh deal with
this one. :-)
--
Michael Hoffman <grouse@mail.utexas.edu>
The University of Texas at Austin