libwrap missing on configure of OpenSSH

Hi,

I've searched the lists for help with this but it seems to be
a bit of a dead end:

tcp_wrappers_7.6 patched compiled ok
libwrap.a in /usr/lib
tcpd.h in /usr/include

zlib is built and installed

openssl-0.9.6b-1 builds no problem

then openssh-2.9p2-3 refuses to configure.

I get this far:

checking for GLOB_ALTDIRFUNC support... yes
checking for gl_matchc field in glob_t... no
checking whether struct dirent allocates space for d_name... y
checking for libwrap... configure: error: *** libwrap missing

I'm pretty sure the error doesn't entirely point to the problem
because I tried setting paths to libwrap.a explicitly and it
makes not a blind bit of difference.

It will configure and compile fine so long as I don't try to
use tcp-wrappers.

Ideas please? Previous versions have built with no problems and
this is a fresh win2k sp2 build that's only had the current
cygwin installed (default c:\cygwin)

Many Thanks for any tips and pointers

Lawrence