Re: Virus Found

Just to set your mind at ease...

Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote on Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:17:11 -0400:

> Forgive me, if you already know this but you can't use cygwin as the
> basis of a commercial application unless you provide the sources for
> your apps and for the cygwin DLL, if you are distributing it.

Yes I know this.  The (planned) apps will be GPLed, and I will ship
full source for the entire thing.

> Also, if you are distributing the Cygwin DLL or any of its
> associated utilities, you also can't just point to the cygwin web
> site and say "Get them over there."  You must provide the sources
> for any software you distribute.  You can't rely on Red Hat to
> maintain a distribution of the sources.

I know this too.  Actually, I'm targeting absolute beginners (to
*real* programs, anyway), and I don't want them frightened by the
commandline nature of the standard Cygwin distribution :) So, I'll
mention www.cygwin.com when I mention how to get your binaries, but
not before.

> The "Licensing Terms" link at the cygwin web site goes into more
> details.

Great license, btw.  Now, if only we could get the FSF to recommend
it...

Jon Cast

p.s.  You don't need to Cc: me; I'm suscribed (disregard if this was
generated by a perl script or something)