RE: Automake 1.5

Hello Chuck,

> (sorry, got carried away; but wasn't Monty Python's "The Pet Shop" a
> *great* sketch?)
It certainly was :)
> So why is the first response always to downgrade back to the old,
> obsolete versions of the autotools -- instead of patching the project
> to use the new autotools (or better, patching the project with
> compatibility macros to support both 2.13 and 2.52(autoconf))
Because when you find out there is a problem, you want to bootstrap and
build your project - so you get that done first. *Then*, after
bootstrapping and building, you put your new versions back and see what
the problem is. You fix, and lo and behold, bootstrapping and building
works again.

What I sent the original mail for, was that Automake was asking for
something it should not need. I've redirected to the proper list.

> I even submitted patches for libiberty to support both versions, but
> it was more or less ignored.  It seems the response was "we're
> sticking with 2.13"
> What?  Forever?
> I don't understand.  Help me?
That, I don't understand either..
Strange..

Greetz!

Ronald

NB: meant to ask: what is your thesis about? Just curious..