Re: press for cygwin

On 03 Sep 2001 11:14:42 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
I think we should name the files .cgf. It just seems right.

> It's probably possible to add magic number detection to setup.exe to
> circumvent this but then, once again, we're moving into development
> areas that need more than just a good idea for anything to happen.

I got the impression that this thread started with the goal of confusing
Winzip, but not native cygwin utilities. Whilst I like the .deb/.rpm
layered approach, that _will_ confuse native utilities, or we will have
to field question s about "How do I manually install <obfuscated archive
name> without setup.exe?"

IMO we have a community awareness that Winzip is evil - for past and
current readers of this list - and that changing the question by
renaming the files will result in more questions that no-one but a
developer thinks to answer. Which is not what we want!

Even if the files where to be packaged as a well-known format - say .rpm
- there would still be questions, but at least then we would have the
option of pointing the user at a generic rpm list.

Rob