-mno-cygwin links me to cygwin1.dll

When I compile without -mno-cygwin, the
application runs fine.

With -mno-cygwin turned on, the application
crashes with dialogue box:

"The exception unknown software exception
(0xc00000fd) occured in the application at
location 0x6104b9ef."

I press cancel and VisualC++ tells me there's
a stack overflow in cygwin1.dll.

cygcheck syas that my application is
dependant upon cygwin1.dll.

I am making sure to compile with -mno-cygwin for
every single file and for linking (I don't
know if linking matters).

I am making serveral intermediate libraries
before linking, which probably doesn't matter.

Same problem with or without -mwindows (again
probably doesn't matter).

I have compiled and run the exact same code
using MSVC++ with no problem, so I am sure I am
not doing any unix-dependant stuff.

thanks.