coff files

For many years I've been using D.J.Delorie's gcc 2.7.2 and ld to generate
coff files ( my link line is
ld -d -S -x -r -o nrnmech.dll mod_func.o ...
) and using his old coff.h and dll.c files to load them into my executable.
(that executable has been compiled with borland 4.5 in the past and I've
recently switched to metrowerks codewarrior)
I've been trying to move to cygwin to allow long filenames and avoid
the dos box.  This old dll.c code takes care of doubles correctly but now my
program crashes when the nrnmech.dll code tries to call a function
in my neuron.exe, despite the fact that the pointer value for the
function called from the nrnmech.dll is the same value as the function address
in the neuron.exe.

So my question is whether all that is needed is another ld or gcc option
or if I need to make the effort to build a full dll file and use dlopen
from my neuron.exe.

-Michael Hines