Problems with executing X11 programs via ssh

I just did an update of cygwin packages.  Now, the way I launch
xterms from remote systems using X11 forwarding does not work
properly.  For example, I have the following:

	ssh -f -n hostname xterm

I get prompted for my password, and after a little hesitation,
ssh goes in the background, example:

	cygwin<508> ssh -f -n ody-home.itg.ti.com xterm
	user@hostname's password:
	/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: not found

I've ignored the xauth not found message since it has no impact
(at least before) since the xterm would popup on my display.

The problem is that no xterm ever pops up, and the CPU usage on
my NT systems spikes to 100%.  A process is listed for ssh under
cygwin using ps and an xterm process is running under the remote
machine I specified, but no xterm on my display.

Now, if I do an interactive connect to the remote host, and then
manually launch xterm, the xterm comes up okay.  The problem
only occurs when I try to use the -f -n options.  Is this a known
problem?

System Info:
    WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 6
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        dll major: 1003
        dll minor: 2
        dll epoch: 19
        dll bad signal mask: 19005
        dll old termios: 5
        dll malloc env: 28
        api major: 0
        api minor: 39
        shared data: 3
        dll identifier: cygwin1
        mount registry: 2
        cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        program options name: Program Options
        cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        cygdrive default prefix:
        build date: Sun May 20 23:28:17 EDT 2001
        shared id: cygwin1S3

    X11 Display Server: Exceed 6.2
    openssh: 2.9p2-3
    openssl: 0.9.6b1

--ewh

P.S.  Ssh also appears to fail the $HOME environment variable.
It access the known_hosts and config file from /.ssh and from
$HOME/.ssh.  I had to explicitly put is a home directory path
in /etc/passwd.  Is this a cygwin quirk, or is the ssh manpage
misleading when it uses $HOME when it really means the home
directory of the user as specified in /etc/passwd?

--
Earl W. Hood
Texas Instruments