ftpd stalls when the W2k TCP Loopback adapter is enabled

I use a development machine that is not always connected to a network.  I
use win2k, so when by ethernet card is not connected, the OS disables the
device and I lose my IP address.  So, to enable an IP address, I installed
the w2k loopback adapter.

The cygwin ftpd process misbehaves when the loopback adapter is enabled.
The initial authentication works fine, but any command that involves a PORT
directive (such as LS, PUT, or GET) causes the process to stall for several
seconds before performing the command.  If I disable the loopback adapter
and use only an ethernet adapter, things work fine.  That gives me a
workaround when I am connected to a network.  Unfortunately, I need to do
development when I am completely disconnected from the network and only the
loopback adapter is enabled.

I a looking for ideas on how to approach this.