Re: tar 'mini'-bug

>On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:40:28PM -0500, Gary R Van Sickle wrote:
>> Mmmm, I think you're wrong on that.  I believe ME, crappy as it is, gets
>> this one thing right and behaves the same as Why2K in that respect, in
that
>> you can't write to an executable file that's in use by the OS.  I'm not
at a

>Excerpt from MSDN:
>
>    Windows 95/98/Me: The DeleteFile function deletes a file even if it
>    is open for normal I/O or as a memory-mapped file. To prevent loss
>    of data, close files before attempting to delete them.
>
>    Windows NT/2000 or later: The DeleteFile function fails if an
>    application attempts to delete a file that is open for normal I/O
>    or as a memory-mapped file.

Jesus Cobble-job Christ.  Just when you think Win9x can't get any worse.  I
suppose one could try a CreateFile() with write access before the delete,
assuming THAT would fail (which is of course a nebulous assumption).  Or
simply wait for the XP forced upgrade to deliver its whole new bag of
oddball behavior in a few months.

Gary R. Van Sickle
Braemar Inc.
11481 Rupp Dr.