Re: Signal handling in tight loops

At 8/7/01 08:28 PM (Tuesday), ejrh@paradise.net.nz wrote:
> > Wow.  You haven't been home for 24 hours?  I hope you're getting
> > overtime.
>
>I was at home when I sent the question (some time around midnight, I
>think), but it was here at work that I got your response.
>
>No matter.  Assuming that SIGALRM can't be raised inside loops of the
>form,
>
>L1: jmp L1

!! I hope that's a joke !!
I haven't tried it on intel architecture, but on many processors there
would never be another read-next-instruction cycle, never another
interrupt, nothing at all until you pulled the plug.  Anyway, it isn't a
Cygwin issue - it's in the processor wiring/microcode.

>what do you say to the idea of parsing the .s files for this sort of
>pattern, and dealing with it there?
>

>--

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around nice guy.
Get my PGP key at
:<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit>
Fingerprint=0x{6E3E_DB8C_2E8C_4248_62B2_FE29_08EE_CF0A_3629_E954}
:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&fingerprint=on>
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
--The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!