Re: rm - access violation not counted in W2k Professional

At 06:19 PM 7/31/2001, Jari Aalto+mail.emacs wrote:
>| >If rm command is used on file which Win32 labels as "access violation",
>| >rm will not give any warnings, errors or even set the $?
>| >
>| >File is not removed. - correct - but it shuld give warning
>| >
>| >If I do the same in Explorer, a dialog pos up saying that some other
>| >process is using the file/directory.
>| >
>| >Jari
>|

>| I don't understand your reference to "file which Win32 labels as 'access
>| violation'" but it sounds to me like you're referring to a file which is
>| opened for exclusive use by some other program which Cygwin's 'rm'
>
>Yes.
>
>| then tries to remove.  If this is the case, see from earlier today:
>|
>| http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-07/msg01774.html
>|
>| It covers the same topic in a different context.
>
>I see. So the file is scheduled, but this certainly is not intuitive
>and hits old time Unix user a bit.

True.  Welcome to Win32!

>| If you feel something else should be done here, provide a patch.  Keep
>| in mind though that not everyone is trying to use 'rm' interactively
>| though.
>
>I really think that a warning message should definitely be in place
>especially when $? does not indicate any more details.
>
>Where can I get rm sources and I'll see if I can produce a patch.
>Where do I send it?
>Are there any guidelines for patch? (I use Emacs ChangeLog)

rm is part of the fileutils package.  You can download the source there if
you'd like to look at them.  Coding standards are GNU.  Sorry, I don't
have a pointer for those.  You can look at
http://www.cygwin.com/contrib.html for pointers on Cygwin contributions
however.  I suspect you're going to find that you'll need to look at the
Cygwin DLL source to make a change along the lines of what you suggest
though.  Its the Cygwin DLL that handles figuring out how emulate the
desired behavior.  The Contributing page will tell you what you need to
get started building the Cygwin DLL too.

Have fun! :-)