Re: [Fwd: -qa / -qi problem]

Jason Tishler wrote:

> Doru,
>
> In the future, please post to cygwin@cygwin.com instead of sending
> private email so others can benefit too.

I apologize for that. I considered it to be a better candidate for
rpm-list@redhat.com. Their answer is posted here:

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 04:02:03PM -0700, Doru Carastan wrote:
> > I just sent this message to the RPM list. Is your RPM port working fine?
> > Mine has some problems. It is happening on both Linux and Cygwin
> > platforms for versions > 4.0-4.
>
> Sorry, but I have only used my Cygwin rpm port in a very casual way.
> Actually, I have only "viewed" RPMs with it -- I never installed any
> packages with it.
>
> Anyway, the following is the output for the same command sequence in your
> email to the RPM list:
>
>     $ rpm --version
>     RPM version 4.0.2
>     $ rpm -qa
>     $ rpm -qa
>     $ rpm -q less
>     error: cannot open Name index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
>     package less is not installed
>     $ rpm -q -i less
>     error: cannot open Name index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
>     package less is not installed
>     $ rpm -q --info less
>     error: cannot open Name index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
>     package less is not installed
>
> Hence, my port seems to handle -qa and -qi or not having anything
> installed is masking problems.

I'm not so sure about that. You need to make sure you have created the
directory for _dbpath as it is listed by rpm --showrc. Then run rpm
--initdb to create an empty database. While being here it is a good idea
to check if _tmppath exists, otherwise any build command will fail too.
Could you please try this and run the command sequence again?

Thanks,
Doru C.