Re: cygipc works only for administrator? (2nd attempt)

fred@ontosys.com writes:
 > In the past I've seen symptoms similar to what you report, but they
 > went away and I'm not sure which of the many changes I made to my
 > system made the difference.  This may be superstition, but one thing
 > that seemed to help at least once was to clean up the temp files used
 > by cygipc:
 >
 > + stop the Cygwin ipc-daemon service and (before that) any services
 >   that depend on it.
 > + remove all the /tmp/MultiFile* and /tmp/cygipc* files.
 > + start up the services again.

After my second post I spent another night fiddling with this stuff
and I arrived basically at the same conclusion. Running ipctest h from
different accounts *will* result in a misleading error message unless
you remove previously created files in /tmp. E.g. I first ran ipctest
h as user postgres (the account cygipc runs with) without problems,
then as a regular user. The second time it failed. Removing the stuff
in /tmp makes it work again. I attribute this to my complete ignorance
how ipctest works.

Removing the stuff in /tmp coincidentally cured the postgres problem
as well as you already had found out. I still cannot connect as a
regular user but this appears to be a postgres permission problem, no
shared memory problem (so this will appear in a separate thread on
this mailing list unless I can figure it out tonight...).

Thanks Fred and Chuck for your input
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka, PhD