Re: Scrolling problems with rxvt.

hans.deragon@visa.desjardins.com wrote:

>   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-06/msg00652.html -->
>   When scrolling up past 1 screen in the rxvt term, what you see is not
>   what is just preceeding in the file - stuff is lost and what you see is
>   much earlier (older) output.
>   <--

Not exactly.  You see, some programs (like less and vi) actually use a
secondary display buffer.  If you use the arrow keys, you can tell less
(or vi) to change what portion of the file they display in that
one-screenfull-tall buffer.  However, if you use the scroll bar, you
then see the primary buffer contents.

That is, less/vim will always ONLY control ONE screenful of data.  If
you scroll OUT of that screenful, then you see .... bash?

This behavior is what allows bash(?) to restore the previous "bash"
display after you exit vi or less.

>   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-06/msg00390.html -->
>   running the latest version of rxvt it appears that, under certain
>   conditions (several hours of use), the scroll bar "fills up" and no
>   longer functions. That is, it looks exactly like it does when the
>   window is created and there is nothing to scroll.
>   <--

I use rxvt exclusively, in both X and native modes.  I've never seen this.

--Chuck