cvs and .lnk files

I've run into a problem using cygwin and CVS; it doesn't like checking out
files which use the lnk extension:

cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot rename file .new.COSMIC.LNK to COSMIC.LNK: No
such file or directory

I know that I should slap the person who used the lnk file extension (I
think these sources were originally for a DOS box; if that's any excuse!),
but is there a workaround? I checked them out onto a Linux box and then
tar'd them up and untar'd them on my NT box without problem (shouldn't tar
suffer the same problem?).

This is probably due to the new symlinks (which I think are cool btw).

Keith