Re: chroot and mount question

> This is from the Solaris 8 (pretty sure, they just got upgraded) man
> page for chroot-
>
> "The chroot  utility causes  command to be executed  relative
>      to   newroot.  The meaning of any initial slashes (|) in the
>      path names is changed to  newroot for  command  and  any  of
>      its  child  processes."
>
> So / should be chroot-ed to /view/view0, and
> ls /vobs
> is the same as saying
> ls /view/view0/vobs.
> I can't see it any other way. I mean, if
>
> chroot /view/view0
> ls /vobs
>
> gives you
> /vob1
This is CORRECT behaviour! From your quote above, '... for command and any
of its child processes.' If you look at the top of the man-page, it should
say
chroot [OPTION] NEWROOT [COMMAND...]
You are not giving any command, so the following sequence is happening:
1)   chroot /view/view0
1a) Do a chroot to /view/view0
1b) Now execute COMMAND (no command specified, so do nothing)
1c) OK, done, exit chrooted environment
2)   ls /vobs
2a) show /vob1, because the chroot is no longer in effect!

You need to put: chroot /view/view0 ls /vobs
Or, to have the chroot be in effect for further commands, run a sub-shell on
the chroot line - e.g:
chroot /view/view0 bash

Please bear in mind that my chroot doesn't work (someone else has just
reported the same bug), so I can't test this.

Max.