Re: chroot and mount question

This is from the Solaris 8 (pretty sure, they just got upgraded) man
page for chroot-

"The chroot  utility causes  command to be executed  relative
     to   newroot.  The meaning of any initial slashes (|) in the
     path names is changed to  newroot for  command  and  any  of
     its  child  processes."

So / should be chroot-ed to /view/view0, and
ls /vobs
is the same as saying
ls /view/view0/vobs.
I can't see it any other way. I mean, if

chroot /view/view0
ls /vobs

gives you
/vob1

Then why bother doing a chroot at all? If this is the expected
behavior, why not just forget about doing a chroot- it is a no-op.

I don't understand- Please explain further,
this looks like chroot is NOT working right.

Confused,
Peter