From: Troy Noble [mailto:troy.noble@channelpoint.com]
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 17:21
To: 'Anyos.Bela@evosoft.hu'
Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
Subject: RE: 1.3.2: gcc bug (NT 4.0)

What does gcc --version report on your cygwin and linux installations?

Interestingly, I tried a later version of Linux (RedHat 7.0) that
uses gcc 2.96, and it did expand the macro properly in your original
code example.  And it even gave a useful warning.

.../tmp$ gcc --version
2.96
.../tmp$ gcc -E tmp.c
# 1 "tmp.c"

int main( int argc, char *argv[] )
{
tmp.c:7:42: warning: pasting would not give a valid preprocessing token
	printf( "%s", /usr/X11R6/lib );
	return 0;
}

So it appears the GCC folks know about this and have fixed it
around the gcc 2.96 timeframe.  I would guess that if it
was fixed in gcc 2.96 it'd also be fixed in gcc 3.0 when it
becomes available for cygwin.

If you are using the version of gcc that comes with cygwin-latest
it is likely 2.95.3 and this bug seems to still be present there.
As you reported.

There was talk on this list that someone was working on porting
gcc 3.0 to cygwin, but I don't recall ever seeing a release
announcement.  It's not on cygnus-latest yet.  Maybe someone could
fill in the blanks there as I've not been following that dicusssion
closely.

I suppose you could attempt to build gcc-3.0 yourself from
sources (it was released on GNU mirrors on 6/18/2001).  Not
sure how much work that would be though.

Troy