Re: inetd on a Win95 machine

"EXT-Reuter, Chris H" wrote:

> I'm trying to set a telnet session up from another platform to a win95 machine.  I get inetd to start and telnet in to the win95 platform. The telnetd -D report info looks good up until the point where it gives the error: "no such file: /bin/login". My paths in bash all look link /cygdrive/c/.....

I remember seeing something about there being a different way to
setup inetd and other such things that need /etc/passwd and /etc/group
because Win95/98 don't handle the user/security stuff the same way
as NT/2000. Try searching google for

inetd win98 site:cygwin.com

> I started out on my WinNT machine, where all my paths look like unix paths from within bash, and I can telnet into my  NT machine (but I don't have the right answers for the login prompt)
>
> Also, what do I need to supply setup.exe?  When I install from a local directory, it never finds anything to install?  I've been unziping downloads by hand. Do my problems originate here?

Unzipping downloads by hand is "not recommended" (especially if you
don't download ALL the packages). You should use setup.exe to download
ALL the packages to a local directory, and then use setup.exe to install
from that local directory.

HTH,
Peter