Re: Text editors under Cygnus

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> And I'll just follow-up on Chuck's comment by pointing out that XEmacs,
> because it can be built on Cygwin, automatically understands all the
> niceties of the Cygwin environment (like mounts, symlinks, etc) by
> default.

Bad Larry.  No cookie.  I said no emacs partisanship flamewar. <g>

However, you DO have to be honest.  While in cygwin-xemacs-21.4.3, the
^x-^f file open command (where you type in the name of the file to open
in the minibuffer) works with cygwin-style paths, the 'Open' toolbar
button does NOT.  The toolbar button activates the windows DLL-based
'File Open' dialog, even in the cygwin build.  Since that dialog comes
from the windows system libs (comctl.dll?  I dunno) it does not and
cannot understand cygwin-style paths.

That little discrepancy is rather disconcerting, even to a long-time
XEmacs user like me.  The older cygwin-xemacs-21.1.13 package works
'cygwin-style' both in the (custom built) file-open dialog and in the
minibuffer.  I don't know why the change was made in 21.4.x -- probably
an mswin-related improvement that bled over to cygwin.  It didn't bother
me enough to complain (or code) about it.

--Chuck