Quick query

I've just been trying to port some software that uses serial ports to
cygwin with limited success.  Specifically, some of my workstations here
have /dev/com1 and some don't.  What version of the Cygwin DLL is
required to get serial port access to work?  Also, should /dev/ttyS0 etc
work?  When I use ls I get strange results...

jules:~$ ls -l /dev/com1
crw-rw-rw-   1 Everyone Everyone   7,   1 Jul 20 16:02 /dev/com1
jules:~$ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw-rw-   1 Everyone Everyone   7,   0 Jul 20 16:02 /dev/ttyS0

surely these two should refer to the same device, as the 'com1' entry is
(presumably) for compatibility with windows conventions and should
therefore be a reference to the first serial device, as should ttyS0 for
compatibility with unix conventions...?

Also, is there any chance of having a virtual /dev directory that lists
available devices?  Or do I have to 'mknod' them all by hand?

Jules