Solved: Re: Umlauts on commandline and in .bat files

* egor duda
| Hi!

Rehi!

| RF> [different codepages]
| RF> Octal 304 is octal 304 no matter what character set?
|
| it also affects input. when you type something in console window and
| some program tries to read this input, what it got depends on what
| codepage is currently selected.

Yes, but... but I don't type anything here?  The .bat file comes from
disk, the bytes in the .bat are the ones I want, nevertheless cmd.exe
seems to mangle it and make different bytes from it?  Obviously some
*very* clever input processing of cmd.exe...

| RF> I'd rather change the former... :-/
|
| iirc, 'chcp' command can change the former.

Yup, I tried that before, but obviously not hard enough.  I assumed
that codepage 850 was the one I want (doc says `western european multi
language'), but actually it seems to be 1252, the default ANSI code
page according to some resource kit docu.

If I go `chcp 1252' and then call my .bat, the output is ok
(characters displayed are still weird, but...).  Changing the
equivalent registry entry `OEMCP' in
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage
to `1252', reboot, even changes the code page at cmd.exe startup, and
also my `real' problem, the NutCracker shell.  I don't know if this is
a clever idea, but it seems to `work'.

Thanks so far...
R'