Re: CYGWIN1.DLL

Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> Anyway, I'm of the opinion the DLL should be LGPL.  It wouldn't
> force us to release software under the GPL if it's linked against
> it.

You're missing the whole point.  That requirement is WHY cygwin is
released under the GPL.  It's a feature, not a bug.  (Also, the FSF
considers the LGPL to be a failed experiment, and no longer recommends
its use. Ever.)  With Red Hat's Cygnus-inherited modification to the GPL
in clause 10, the GPL allows developers of free(speech) software to
freely use cygwin.

However, if you want to be proprietary, then you have to purchase a
special proprietary cygwin license.  Why should someone who wants to
hoard their code be allowed to benefit from cygwin for free(beer)?
Makers of proprietary software, that wish to use cygwin, OUGHT to pay
for the privelege.  Or they can open source their product, and avoid paying.

> May I also point out that if you download the binaries, it
> doesn't even say under which license it is.

Neither does the Red Hat installer, or the Suse installer.  Why is this
a requirement?  All packages are opensource--of various licenses--and
the source code is provided for everything.  Not all are GPL, but most are.

> After running setup
> nowhere did it mention it was GPL, nor can I find any file which
> says it is.

That's true.  It is prominently stated on the web page, but perhaps the
cygwin-1.3.3.tar.bz2 package should contain /usr/doc/cygwin.license or
something.

> I guess that's the pain if you distribute something
> binary, and not everything has the same license.

So we provide the most freedom possible: all packages are supplied with
current source, including patches (or CVS) to revert to the "official"
version.

> The setup program itself, under what license does that fall?
> Where are the sources of it, if they are available?

GPL.  CVS, or in the cygwin-src tarball, under winsup/cinstall.

--Chuck