Re: installing sftpd on Win2k

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 11:33:57PM -0400, Michael Erdely wrote:
> Making an of assumptions here:
> You want to use the sftp-server subsystem of sshd, right?
>
> The installation is very simple:
> 1. Download http://cygwin.com/setup.exe
> 2. Install Cygwin.
> 3a. If using NTFS, set "CYGWIN=ntsec tty" for your systemwide
> environment variables for Win2k.
> 3b. If not using NTFS, set "CYGWIN=tty" for your systemwide environment
> variables for Win2k.

That's a good summary what to do, Michael. However, I would like
to make additions to the points 3 and 4.

Setting the global environment was neccessary once we didn't have
the cygrunsrv service starter. The original SRVANY from Microsoft
(so, no wonder you didn't find it since it was never part of the
Cygwin net distro) didn't allow to set environment variables explicitely.

Now that has changed so if you don't want to fiddle around with your
system environment (which unfortunately even requires a reboot) you
now may set the environment variables when installing the service.
The below point 7 changes then to eg.

  cygrunsrv -I sshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a '-D' -d 'Cygwin SSHD' \
            -e "CYGWIN=ntsec tty" -e "TMP=/tmp" -e "TEMP=/tmp"

> 4. Add C:\Cygwin\bin to your systemwide PATH environment variable.

Since cygrunsrv adds /bin to $PATH automatically this step isn't
needed either.

> 5. Reboot
> 6. Run ssh-host-config -y
> 7. Run "cygrunsrv -I sshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a '-D' -d 'Cygwin SSHD'"
> 8. Run "chmod 600 /etc/ssh_host*_key"
> 9. Run "chown system:system /etc/ssh_host*_key"
> 10. Run "cygrunsrv -S sshd"
> 11. Run "sftp localhost"
>
> You're done.  It's all covered in /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-2.9p1.README.

And the full usage of cygrunsrv is covered by
/usr/doc/Cygwin/cygrunsrv.README.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.